1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?
Auditioned for a musical, got a hot stone massage, rode in a hot air balloon, saw the remains of the Ice Man, learned to deep fry things, discovered Jonathan Safran Foer and Howard Zinn, started reading Salon, had a legitimately creepy ouija board experience, ran a 10K and *lived in the same apartment for more than a year!*
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I'm obessive compulsive. I make daily resolutions. And I keep ALL of them.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A friend of a friend from high school had a baby, but it's getting closer. All of a sudden I know five pregnant women.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. My grandmother died suddenly, and my boyfriend from college died of a heroin overdose in the same month. It's been pretty rough.
5. What countries did you visit?
Italy. And Heathrow airport where they sell over-the-counter codeine.
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
A stimulating job. At least I think I would. But I'm awfully comfy here. Barring that, I would really like an ipod. And a nice comfortable reading chair. And a blender. And a ticket to Mexico.
7. What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 14, 2006 - My Titanic Birthday Party, aka the social event of the season.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
This is going to sound cheesy, but the honest answer is going from having, like, 8 friends in Boston to having, like, 50 friends in Boston. Seriously, I love you guys.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Does not compute.
I guess auditioning repeatedly and not getting cast, but it's not exactly keeping me up nights. I kind of wish I had written more this year, but that's more a cumulative disappointment than a failure.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Stumbling 8 blocks to the hospital with a 104.9degree fever was a definite low-point this annum.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I bought not one but two little black dresses that I am quite fond of.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Sorry, I don't know any British people. Oh wait! Phil, it is high time we celebrate your behaviour.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Most of our elected officials.
14. Where did most of your money go?
My car, college loans, heating my house. The rest of my discretionary money went to throwing parties and taking road trips.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Live band karaoke, my jaunt to Memphis, seeing the Gossip, standing in the same room as Amy Sedaris.
16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
There is this song about weapons of mass destruction on a mix that Justin made me. I cannot for the life of me remember who sings it, but it definitely wins the Earworm of the Year Award.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or sadder?
Happier. The end of 2005 kind of kicked the shit out of me.
ii. Thinner or fatter?
Possibly a few pounds heavier. Whatevah. I can still wear all of my pants.
iii. richer or poorer?
Slightly richer. I'm not exactly rolling cigars out of $100 bills over here.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Writing. Dancing, if that is humanly possible. Traveling. Taking pictures.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Folding laundry. Every time I touch dry terrycloth it makes me want to scream. The worst torture I can imagine is having to crawl on my hands and knees through a tunnel lined with un-fabric-softened bath towels . . . while being chased by rats, of course.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Spending four and a half days with my family, then taking a road trip, hitting NYC/NJ/Philadelphia/DC/rural MD/Baltimore/NYC again/upstate NY and then home on January 3. If you're around any of those cities and want to get together, hit me up.
23. How many one-night stands?
Um, one, but only because I decided I wasn't interested in a repeat performance of that particular matinee. Try not to judge.
24. What was your favourite TV program?
Lost. Although I fell in love with Freaks & Geeks and West Wing on DVD.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hate's a little strong, but I have left some carnage in my wake this year. So there are probably people who hate me, but I can't really be bothered to hate them back.
26. What was the best book you read?
No question: Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Metric and The Gossip. This is like saying that Columbus discovered America when there had been northern Europeans fishing here for a hundred years, but still. You can choose to believe the myth.
28. What did you want and get?
My totally reorganized kitchen.
29. What was your favourite film of this year?
Here's my top 10 list:
10 Apocalypto (despite giving me a stress headache, it was beautifully done)
9. Brokeback Mountain
8. Stick It (the gymnastics version of Bring it On)
7. Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire
5. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
4. Little Miss Sunshine
2. Memoirs of a Geisha
1. Thank You for Smoking
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 27. I woke up in Brooklyn, ate Albanian food and drank too much with Steph, then got all dressed up in the birthday outfit my mom bought me, met up with people to see an improv show, then to Capone's.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
A little posh but nothing that will interfere with my spastic dance moves.
34. What kept you sane?
cooking, singing & dancing, yoga, nia class, Justin, living in Jamaica Plain
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jon Stewart for President!
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The list is so long.
37. Who did you miss?
All my old friends . . . and it sucks that Chuck & Linda & Barbara all moved right after I met them.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Fight amongst yourselves.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006:
Filling out meme's always takes 10x longer than you think it will.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"Shake your head - it's empty."